How I Package and Ship my Orders: A Guide to Shipping with Etsy

I had just mailed my second ever Etsy order when I stumbled upon a YouTube video about shipping Etsy packages. I was still trying to figure out how shipping worked (and praying I had done it right the first two times). But when she flashed a view of her package on-screen I felt my stomach drop: my shipments looked absolutely juvenile compared to hers. She had ribbons and stickers and crisp, clear bags. I had simply slipped my naked artwork into a stiff envelope and sent it on its way. Somehow the 'presentation' aspect of selling my work hadn't occurred to me yet. 

It was a crummy feeling, but that moment of realization was a learning point for me. I began browsing for bags, boxes, and business cards; everything I would need to make my products look more aesthetic and professional when I sent them out. It was actually a lot of fun! Sure, I had to spend a bit of money, but that's the cost of doing business right? 

For anyone else out there who is just starting with Etsy, Shopify, or your own self-hosted shop and looking for some insight on shipping: This is how I package and ship my artwork and handmade products. 

-- 

Step One: Protective Product Packaging
Protecting your product is important, not just for the look of the product, but to prevent damage during transport as well. I shop at www.clearbags.ca or I drive down to Creative Bag in Toronto. These stores have just about everything you could possibly need to protect and package your product. 

agate coasters shipped flat in clear bag with board how to ship with Etsy shipping labels
  • For my artwork, I buy Flap Seal Bags and White Backing Board 4-Ply in matching sizes. The bag protects the artwork and the board keeps the package stiff to prevent bending. Note: Buy your bags 1/4 inch larger than your work. For example, if your artwork is 8"x10", buy 8.25" x 10.25" bags and board. 
  • I actually use the same bags and boards to ship my coasters (size 9.25" x 12.25"). This helps to prevent any scratching during shipment that could occur from stacking the coasters.  
Step Two: Information Sheet
If you're only selling artwork then this step may or may not apply. However some handmade products require a 'Care Guide' to educate the customer on how to properly use the item. I have a single page document titled 'Coaster Care Information' that I include with every coaster purchase. It includes information on washing, toxicity (or lack thereof), ideal storage, and so on. 

thank you card note for package shipped with Etsy: a guideStep Three: Other Inserts
Typically you want something in your packaging with your information on it (your business name, email address, website, etc.) and I personally like to include a 'Thank You' note as well. I designed and printed both my business cards and my thank you notes at https://www.vistaprint.ca. You can also design and order other marketing material like stickers, stationary, bookmarks, pens, flyers, and more. 

My thank you cards include a discount code for returning customers, and I like to write a little hand-written note on the blank backside as well. 

Step Four: Shipping Packaging
The next step is shipping packaging, and that all depends on what you're shipping. You can use envelopes, mailing tubes, bubble mailers, or boxes. I prefer to use stiff-mailer envelopes if product size permits, because they are less likely to get bent than a bubble mailer. You can buy these at Staples or your local post office. Since I ship my coasters flat, this works quite well for me. If I do ship my coasters stacked (i.e. tied in ribbon when ordered as a gift), then I use a 5x5x3 box. I buy these boxes online at https://www.uline.ca and they get shipped to my doorstep. Super easy! You can also order your mailers in bulk from Uline, which could save you money in the long run. 

Step Five: Shipping and Labels
If you didn't already know, Etsy makes shipping super straight-forward by allowing you to print shipping labels straight from their website. They basically do all the work for you: calculating the cost of shipping, collecting the shipping payment from the customer, and creating the shipping label for you. Still, when I started my Etsy shop I had no idea how the shipping process worked. I had never shipped a parcel before, so I wasn't sure what a shipping label even was. So just to be as clear as possible (in case anyone else is as baffled as I was) I'll write out the details of the process. 

  • Number One: make sure the weight and dimensions of your product are correct when you post a listing, because this is how Etsy calculates shipping costs. And keep in mind, it is the weight and dimensions of the product in its complete shipping packaging, not just the product itself. 
  • TIP: When it comes to Canada Post, I have found that the price increases at 0.3kg and 0.5kg (so basically, if your package is 0.29kg it will be cheaper than if your package is 0.31kg; but on the flip side, if your package is 0.31kg it will cost the same as a package that is 0.49kg). Hopefully that makes sense. If not, when you post your listing, enter the weight and dimensions of your package and then use the shipping estimator at the bottom to see how the price changes when you toggle the weight and dimensions. 
  • Another Tip: If you're sending small artworks or prints, you can ship them cheaper as "oversize lettermail" through Canada Post directly. This is because Etsy only gives the option to ship as a parcel. Lettermail is reserved for documents, so you can't ship actual items that way, but small artwork will pass. Maximum dimensions for oversize mail are: 14.9" x 10.6" x 0.8" and maximum 0.5kg in weight. I have heard that they put lettermail through a sorting machine, so I would suggest using a stiff mailer instead of a regular mailer to avoid any bending or damage. If you choose to go through Canada Post, under Delivery and then Postage Costs you will want to choose 'I'll enter fixed costs manually' - then use the calculator to enter the shipping costs for each destination. I will be making another post with a table that includes shipping prices and package dimensions, so stay tuned for that! In the meantime, if you want to estimate the cost of a parcel or letter directly through Canada Post (instead of Etsy), use this calculator: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1
  • Okay, now let's talk about how Etsy shipping works. When someone makes a purchase through your shop, they are able to choose different shipping options. These options vary in price based on: how quickly they will be delivered, whether or not they include tracking, etc. When you post a listing, you have the option to choose whether or not to offer all of these different options. I personally offer them all; this is the default option. 
  • So let's say they choose the cheapest method of shipping without tracking and it's $8.50. Etsy collects the price of your item (let's say $20.00) and the price of shipping ($8.50). Then, that total of $28.50 is deposited into your Etsy account. 
  • The easiest thing to do now is to print a shipping label right from Etsy. Click 'Orders and Delivery' and you should see your open order. Select the order and click 'Get postage label' at the top of the page. It will bring up a screen where you enter the package information and purchase the label (see image). 
    Etsy shipping label example how to print labels online step by step guide
  • At this point, your customer has paid you for the shipping method they would like, and now you're using that money to purchase a shipping label that you will stick on your package and toss in the mail. At this point, if you had previously estimated your package weight and dimensions, it's time to calculate those exactly. If there's any discrepancy and your package costs more to ship than Etsy initially calculated, you'll have to pay extra. 
  • Now have a look at the image. At the top I've underlined the shipping method the customer has chosen. Once you've entered the package's exact weight and dimensions (dimensions from your listing are also listed at the top, so if those are accurate you can just re-enter those values) then the first red star shows you where you will select the shipping service. This customer has chosen Small Packet - USA Air, so I will select Small Packet - USA Air. The price should be the exact same amount the customer paid, as long as the weight and dimensions are the same as the listing. Straightforward, right? 
  • TIP: On the right-hand side it will list your address (i.e. the return address). I personally prefer not to use my actual address, so I use my spouse's business address instead. You could also register for a P.O. box but that costs a bit of money. There may also be a way to have it delivered to the nearest post office instead. 
  • Then you enter a description for customs (if the order is international), print the label and stick it on your package. If it's small, you might be able to fit it through the slot of the nearest mailbox. If not, just drop it off at the post office. You've already paid for shipping, so there won't be any transactions taking place. 
  • Note: If you've ever heard of having to fill out a customs form for international orders, do not fret! The shipping label you print out on Etsy serves as the label AND the customs form. 
    shipping labels Etsy guide print package shipment label from home
  • I use this shipping label paper from Staples to print half-page labels, but if you don't have any lying around and you need to print it ASAP, you can print it on regular paper and use masking tape to completely cover it (you definitely don't want it to get damaged!) 
  • TIP: In addition to printing the shipping label, you will also have the option to print a packing slip, which is essentially a receipt with the person's address on it. Some sellers prefer not to include this because the customer can already access their receipt online. However, if the outer shipping label were to become damaged, then the post office will often open the package to check for the address inside. So the packing slip is basically a back-up plan if the outer label becomes unreadable. If you're worried about wasting paper, you can print it out on a half-page instead. Or you can write your own packing slip, but the ones through Etsy look quite nice and professional. 
Step Six: Optional Extras
If you want, you can add a little extra to the outside of your package. I always put red FRAGILE stickers on both sides of the package to help reduce the chance it will get damaged. My next investment will be a Dymo LabelWriter, which prints labels on a single sticker with nice rounded edges. This reduces the time it takes to plug in my computer to the printer, print the label, and then cut it out. Plus it looks so professional! Some people also use personalized stamps or stickers on the outside of their package so that their customer will know who its from as soon as they see it. 
packaged handmade product ready for Etsy shipping label: a guide

And that's it! It can seem a little confusing at first, but it becomes so incredibly easy once you've figured it all out. Hopefully this guide provides a little clarification for anyone who is in the process of starting their own shop. Feel free to share your experience in the comments below! Good Luck! ♥

Comments

P O P U L A R