Learning to Use Resin? Here are 4 Tips for Beginners

Resin is so functional. You can colour it with almost any medium, and you can use it on its own, as a glass-like finish, or to create an entire painting. You can encase solids in it; you can make jewellery with it; you can make decor with it. 

I think that was my initial allure, the fact that I could make so many beautiful things with one medium. I was dying to make flowy paintings and learn to make my own decor from scratch. I started researching endlessly: processes, brands, tips, colouring, tools... But no matter how much research I did, I still made plenty of mistakes along the way. I've said it before and I'll say it (many times) again: resin is really tough to work with! But it makes the end result that much more satisfying, at least in my opinion. 

If you're thinking about giving resin a try, I say do it! It's a really cool medium to work with. Here are a few tips before you get started...

1. Do Your Research.
I know, that sounds really boring. And if you would prefer to dive right in and learn from your own mistakes (or lack thereof, who knows!) then all the power to you! But resin is expensive. In order to save yourself the time, money, and frustration, do a little research before you start. The smallest omission could ruin your project, and that's no fun :( 

I would also suggest starting small your first time so you can get the hang of working with resin without spending $100+ on a piece that may not turn out. 

2. Don't Bother with Traditional Fabric Canvas.
Maybe this isn't everyone's opinion, so take this advice with a grain of salt, but I personally regret ever wasting my time with it. Traditional fabric canvas is not a stiff surface, and the resin tends to pool in the centre. Sure, you can try propping up the centre with an object like a stack of cups, but the resin just ends up pooling toward the corners of the canvas instead. Or, you can try to pour resin in the back of the canvas first to make the surface more stiff, but then the surface becomes heavier and still hangs slightly lower in the centre. 

I've heard that some people use a spray foam sealant in the back of their canvas to keep it stiff, but I haven't personally tried it yet. In my opinion it's way easier (and faster, and cheaper) just to use a stiff surface from the get-go. My preference is wooden canvas. I order them online at https://www.deserres.ca/en/?___from_store=on_fr&___store=on_en. Just keep in mind wood must be sealed before pouring resin, otherwise the wood may emit gasses that result in tons of tiny bubbles you won't be able to get rid of. 

3. Don't Overheat Your Resin. 
The heating stage is the best part of working with resin (at least I think so). Using a heat gun to move colour around creates depth and texture and lacing. It gets rid of stiff, awkward lines and makes the painting flow. This is by far my favourite part. And then you bring the torch out and watch all of the tiny bubbles disappear until the surface looks as glassy as a lake at sunrise. I just love it! 

BUT it is important that you don't overheat it for 2 reasons: 

  • Using a heat gun (obviously) heats up the resin. Warm resin will be less viscous and easier to work with. However, it is also important to note that the warmer resin is, the faster it will cure. This reduces the working time, so if you try to keep manipulating the resin for too long it will become sticky rather than flowy. And once the resin has become sticky and partially cured, you don't want to be manipulating it anymore. 
  • Using the heat gun or the torch on one spot for too long can cause it to smoke and burn. Burnt resin may not self-level, and it can create ugly annoying divots in the surface. 
4. Resin Requires Precision; Don't Cut Corners. 
Every detail of working with resin needs to be precise. Attention to detail is so important. I won't review every aspect, but here is a quick list of some examples that must be precise and exact: 
  • For a perfect cure, you must stir long enough that the resin and hardener are 100% mixed. 
  • For a perfect cure, you must mix the ratio of resin to hardener exactly as stated on the bottle.
  • You must ensure your surface is completely level. 
  • You must torch the bubbles multiple times over the course of about an hour. 
  • You must keep the temperature static over the 24 hour cure period. 
  • You must cover your work and check to make sure no dust or hairs have fallen into the resin. 
The list goes on and on. And that circles us back to number one: precision requires some preliminary research. If you're interested in learning more about how to use resin and how to make my agate-style coasters and trays from scratch, you can sign up for my online course at https://devony-anastasia.teachable.com


It may seem intimidating but it gets so much easier once you've tried it a few times. Plus, like I mentioned in the beginning, it has so many uses! Once you've got the process figured out, you can make so many different things. 

Give it a try. It's worth it. 

Good luck! ♥


Comments

  1. Hi! What should you seal the wood with before starting a resin project? Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

P O P U L A R