ArtResin vs. Magic Resin: Which Brand is Better?

blue marble agate epoxy resin coasters gold coffee beans espresso

Resin isn't easy to work with. Anyone who has worked with resin would probably agree. It's sticky and temperature-specific, it has a short working time and a bit of a smell, it takes days to completely cure (during which time it's susceptible to pesky hairs and dust particles), it requires a completely level surface... The list goes on. But despite the difficulties, the end result of a perfect pour is just so satisfying that I'll never give it up!

All of this said, finding the right brand of resin can help make the process a little smoother. And in Canada, I've found it difficult to find artist-level brands that will ship to me. So far I have tried two brands, and I wanted to create a little post to compare the two.

comparing epoxy resin brands canada art resin magic resin which is better

As you can see, ArtResin is the better option if you are working indoors/without a respirator (although I personally use a respirator regardless). It also has better non-yellowing UV protection. However, I found working with Magic Resin very similar to ArtResin: it is smooth to pour, mixes well with colour, and cures really nicely. I also like that it produces a very hard cure, compared to ArtResin which I find slightly malleable. Magic Resin also cures very quickly in comparison to ArtResin, which can be a pro or con depending on the purpose. For me, this is a pro when I need to get orders done quickly, but it's also a con because I have to cut the edges of my coasters right at the 11 hour mark, otherwise they're too hard to cut!

In the end, the best choice depends on the project at hand and your preferred price point. Personally, I prefer to use Magic Resin for my coasters and ArtResin for my fine art. Hopefully this article will help you make that choice (especially if you live in Canada, where it is difficult to get other brands such as Ultracast XT, Mastercast, or Resin8).

If you'd like to learn how to make coasters of your own, check out my online course: https://devony-anastasia.teachable.com

Comments

P O P U L A R