Handling Defeat as an Artist



Every artist knows the feeling of defeat. Just when you think you've mastered your technique, your next piece winds up looking like a foot. Your ink doesn't flow right, your portrait isn't proportional, your watercolours bloom in all the wrong places... It's a horrible feeling. But success as an artist depends wholly on your ability to move past these moments of defeat. 

Personally, I'm a very emotional person. If I feel like I've screwed up (and wasted my time, and wasted money, etc.), it feels like the end of the world. My biggest struggle as an artist has been learning to move past these moments, and I want to share some of the approaches I have used to do that. 

1. Remember, it's a learning experience.
Being an artist is a dynamic journey. There are so many different techniques, different types of media, different sources of inspiration, and different experiences that will influence your work. Allow it it to change. Allow yourself to experiment, make mistakes, and learn. Experimentation (and with it, failure) will shape your unique style. 

2. Talk about it. 
I'm lucky. My boyfriend is both invested in my artistic success and super laidback. He'll give me constructive feedback about my work, reassure me that learning is not a waste of time or money, and encourage me to keep trying. But aside from that, sometimes it helps to just vent when I'm feeling defeated. Whether it's with your partner, your mother, your roomie, or an online acquaintance - talk about it! 

3. Follow lots of other artists on Instagram and make some friends. 
Many artists on Instagram will post about their mistakes and their struggles. In my opinion, there is nothing more reassuring than seeing that someone else is going through the same thing you are. So many artists are also happy to chat about their work, their experiences, and things that they have learned. As helpful as venting to our family and friends can be, talking to another artist is a totally different ballpark. The support in this community is fantastic ♥ On the flip side, you can also post about your own struggles, and you will likely receive encouragement and/or constructive feedback from your followers. 

4. Set it aside and keep making art. 
This might seem obvious, but in a moment of defeat it's often tough to find the motivation to try again. If you're hating a piece, my suggestion to you is to set it aside. A little time can make a big difference. Perhaps in the moment it didn't turn out the way you envisioned, but when you revisit it you find that you actually like it. Or perhaps when you revisit it you'll have some ideas on what to add to make it better. Give it time. Canvases can typically be re-painted, alcohol ink can be re-manipulated, layers can be added. It isn't necessarily a dud. 

And the second part to this: keep creating. Whether you try the same piece again, create something completely different, or work on something mindless that relaxes you, keeping up the creative flow will generate inspiration and ideas, and will probably make you happier than stewing in your own feelings of failure. 

5. Don't let yourself get caught up in comparison. 
Although I am a huge advocate of Instagram for generating business, creating a community, and finding inspiration, sometimes it can also be discouraging. Some art accounts only show their successes, and omit all experimentation and failure. Some artists are so incredibly good that you almost can't believe it. Sometimes you'll see a technique that you just can't replicate no matter how much you research and experiment. It's easy to get caught up in scrolling and start to feel like you don't measure up to these "perfect" artists. 

But comparison is cancerous to your own artistic progress. Avoid it at all costs!
  • Just because you don't see any hardships doesn't mean there aren't any. Many people only show their highlights on Instagram. And don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that! For many artists selling their work is their business, and showing the 'bloopers' might be detrimental to that business. But just remember: everyone has those moments, no matter how perfect their work might look. 
  • Every artist was once a beginner, and everyone you come across on Instagram will be at a different stage in their artistic development. Your work after 3 months of practice will be different than someone's work after 3 years of practice. And you will get better with practice! 
  • Instead of thinking: "Her work is so perfect and intricate, my work will never be that good. She doesn't make any mistakes, everything looks amazing. She has so many followers..." - try to study her work and her process to generate your own ideas and inspiration instead. You could try sending a message and asking for tips, or perhaps the artist offers a workshop or writes a blog to give you insight on her techniques. Instead of saying "Why can't I be like that?" ask yourself "How can I be like that?
  • If you find yourself feeling frequently discouraged, unfollow the artist. Even if you like their work, if you're finding it to be more destructive than constructive it isn't worth it. 
6. Do a little research. 
If there's something specific that you're struggling with, chances are another artist has struggled with it too. There are so many resources available online. There are extensive in-person and online workshops that you can pay for if you're looking for end-to-end, step-by-step instructions. Or you can find shorter tutorials on specific techniques via YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, Blogs, and so on. 

7. Were you rushing?
I am totally guilty of this. Sometimes I'm so focused on my vision of the end result that I rush to get there, or sometimes I'm just being lazy. Other times I'm just not paying enough attention. Whatever the reason, when I rush my work I often don't end up liking it. 

That being said, sometimes rushed work can turn out wonderfully. Maybe quick strokes or haphazard painting are parts of your technique. Maybe you just wanted to do some mindless creating and see what happens. That's cool! I'm not necessarily saying don't rush. What I'm saying is, if you find yourself disliking your piece once it's done, consider whether you were rushing to complete it. It could be the solution to your problem. 


Comments

P O P U L A R