Interview with Carina Tenaglia


Tell us a little bit about yourself and DC Brushes and Strokes. How long have you been painting for? When would you say your creative journey began? How long have you been selling your artwork and monetizing your artistic skills?

I never had a formal art education, but I did take a few summer art classes here and there at a local museum, and I took AP (advanced placement) art in my senior year of high school. In that class, I had to brainstorm a “concentration” concept to create twelve pieces that tied into this singular idea - but it wasn’t allowed to be as basic as painting flowers and have no underlying significance. I painted a series reflecting the correlation of the cycle of life as they correspond to the change of seasons (i.e. spring = (re)birth, summer = adolescence, etc.). Having my artwork subjectively assessed for the first time was a strange adjustment. At the end of the day, this challenge motivated me to research and experiment with new techniques, and deepened my love of painting. 

In undergrad I painted and sold a few acrylic and watercolor painted pieces. I was inspired primarily by the beauty of native headdresses and of painting world maps, as well as country and state maps. The maps became the focus behind my first line: DC Brushes & Strokes. That’s the company name under which I’m registered, but I actually have two lines today. The DC Brushes & Strokes line is the line under which I offer my calligraphy services and sell my bespoke gifts like holiday ornaments and personalized maps. Although that started as the focal point of my business, my passion has largely shifted to creating abstract paintings. This new line is called Carina Tenaglia Fine Art. I’ve struggled a lot trying to figure out the best way to identify myself and my work. I’m not the traditional fine artist with an MFA, but I’m also not the person who solely specializes in calligraphy. I have a whole blog post detailing the decision to split my work into two lines and the thought processes behind it, here: https://www.carinatenaglia.com/blog/two-lines-one-artist.

I started my business officially in June 2018, and after participating in a few showcases with the RAW Artists group, holding pop-ups with shops like West Elm, and doing my first ever live painting, I’m finally starting to get the hang of referring to myself as an artist, and feeling more comfortable with the concept of charging my worth for my products and services.

Have you always painted abstract pieces or did it take you time to find your ‘style’? 

Nope! I think I had somewhat of an impressionistic style for a bit, then in my AP art class I decided I really liked the look of using small brush strokes. I soon realized that the more I experimented, the more my work began to take a life of its own. I became very drawn to the elements of texture, light, and shadows. I started diving deeper into my abstract practice when I moved to Washington, D.C. and wanted to decorate my apartment. The process of creating the pieces excited me, but I was overwhelmed by school, so it took me a few months before I could resume painting. Once I picked a brush back up, the rest was history.

So far, I’ve realized that I’m drawn to more neutral tones with metallic accents. I love texturizing my work and incorporating various layers into my pieces. I think my style is becoming more apparent in my work and throughout my Instagram feed, but at the same time, I learn new things and gather new inspiration all the time. I think our styles and techniques can change over time. I don’t see myself drastically changing things like my predominant color scheme or love of texture, but I recently started testing out different techniques that I think could change the direction of some of my work.

I know you recently finished law school and started working as a lawyer. Do you find it difficult to balance the two? What part do you struggle with the most? 

YES. I think anyone who juggles competing interests can relate to this. I’m currently a lawyer (passed the bar exam but waiting to be sworn in), and I work a full-time job for a large international law firm. It’s been a dream come true in that sense, so I’m very thankful to be on this journey. 

I’d be lying if I said it was always easy. There are many days that I come home and then will work on my art business for several hours. When my legal work and art deadlines coincide, I do my best to juggle both. I do prioritize my legal work. Typically my art deadlines are flexible, whereas my legal deadlines usually are less so.

I think the most helpful tool going into this transition was reframing my mindset and expectations, and going into this experience with the singular goal of doing my best and setting reasonable expectations. It was both a harsh reality but also comforting experience when I just took a mental minute to think about what I wanted to achieve, what I felt would be reasonable given my limited time and energy, and where I wanted to see myself in a year. I didn’t want to think too much further out than that, because I was focused on the short-term period of transition. I think once I did this, the rest started to fall into place. The hardest part of this process has been trying to not over-commit, refraining from comparing myself and my progress to other full-time artists, and also remembering to take time for myself. This has been challenging during the holiday season, but has also provided a series of valuable learning opportunities.

I have another blog post on this, too, which I think artists and non-artists alike can relate to: https://www.carinatenaglia.com/blog/setting-realistic-expectations


What advice would you give to other artists who are having difficulty juggling a small business and a full-time job? 

Be nice to yourself! We can be SO harsh. We’re focused on all the things we aren’t doing, or that we feel we could be doing, or how slow we feel our progress is, or how much better X’s products are turning out or selling. STOP THAT! Consider where you are in life and what your obligations and priorities are. For some people, this is their full-time job. For others, this is a monetized hobby. We all have different goals, different resources, and different styles. It’s important to put all of these considerations into perspective and try to consciously stop ourselves from playing the comparison game. It hurts all of us and nobody wins, truly.

My next best piece of advice is to schedule time for yourself. I’ve literally forced myself to block out time in my own calendar before to do this. You can’t pour from an empty cup! Whether it’s allowing yourself time for a nap, or to walk through a museum, or go geek out at the craft store - give yourself some “you” time to recharge. I often find that when I overwork myself that I lose my creative energy, and I need time to find inspiration - or just plainly to rest!

Finally, find your tribe. It’s so imporant to have a support system. Of course, the traditional friends & family support system is incredible (and I’m so thankful for mine). But also try to find other creatives or entrepreneurs who share your struggles and triumphs! I can think of a few of these people who I bounce ideas off of, vent to, or talk to about the tough realities about owning a business. This is also a great way to learn best practices and get connected with others in your local (or worldwide) entrepreneurial community! 

I believe this year you made a lot of changes in how you run your business (i.e. starting to conduct workshops, where you sell, how you market, etc.). Could you describe some of those new approaches? What prompted you to grow your artistic business in these ways, especially when you were in the midst of pursuing a career in law? 

I know a lot of local creatives in my community who hold workshops or sell their work in local shops, which inspired a lot of the goals I set for myself. I had never taught a workshop before, and I was really intimidated but also really excited about the prospect. I actually got connected with a local bike shop owner who was incredibly kind and worked closely with me to figure out a way to develop an intimate 4-person workshop in the upstairs studio of the shop. I wanted to start small before committing to larger workshops, which I’m glad I did. I also practiced running a mock workshop with a few of my friends in my own apartment and invited them to critique me. This forced me to think about how to explain the techniques I was teaching (things that come second nature to me in my mind), and restructure my lesson plan. I was in talks with another local shop about holding a workshop for several weeks and then finally had the opportunity to hold two workshops over a few months. They went great, and I’m so thankful that the shop took a chance on me.

I also decided to look into selling artwork on consignment, and looking into holding pop-up shop events. This was a bit trickier. I solicited advice on instagram and did my own research. I also looked to see where other creatives with similar products were selling or displaying their work. Some people are very open about this and some are more protective, so it took a lot of legwork on my end before I gathered a few leads. The next stop was the hardest: reaching out. I sent a bunch of cold e-mails and Instagram DMs. Many of them are still unanswered. But that’s fine! All it takes is for one opportunity to work out. I’m happy to report that several of these messages ignited several successful business opportunities. Don’t be afraid to take this leap!


Is there anything you have experienced so far in starting/running your own business that you wish you had done differently? 

Don’t focus on how many likes or follows you get. I think it can be harder because my business is primarily run through Instagram, and those factors can translate into experience or worthiness, in our minds. However, those numbers aren’t everything. Focus on creating content that you want to create, and that you think others will want to see. Don’t be afraid to put your personality on your page(s). I started out thinking I could only post about art, and not about other aspects of my life - I was dead wrong. I love seeing other creatives post about their lives - their pets, their day-to-day craziness, their kids, their vacations - everything. It reminds me that we’re all human, and it’s humbling.

I would also focus on supporting other entrepreneurs early and often. Don’t be afraid to give generously - whether in the form of likes, comments, encouragement, shouting out others’ products and businesses. I think this helps form a really awesome community of support and just generally, we could use more of that.


Starting a business, especially one in art, can be difficult and intimidating. What advice would you give to another creative who dreams of pursuing that path? 

Don’t focus on what everyone else is doing. Don’t focus on their products, their prices, their education, their background - nothing. Think about what drives you. What gives you inspiration? What’s the thing you can’t get out of your head? What are your personal and professional goals?

Any business can benefit from strategic planning. However, don’t plan so rigidly that you can’t be flexible enough to respond to a changing market, fluctuating economy, changes in your own life, or anything else that life throws into the mix. You don’t have to be an expert on running a business. There are many lessons you will learn about creative entrepreneurship along the way.

It may be helpful to consider your “brand” early on. This includes everything from your tangible branding materials (business cards, stickers, packaging, etc.) to your personal brand. How do you want your clients or prospective customers to perceive you? Your fellow creatives? Are you the funny mom who makes hilarious sassy stickers with curse words, or the fine artist who creates artwork that is larger than life and highly sophisticated? Who’s your target market? What’s your budget? Are you self-funded? Are you hoping to grow into a large operation, or do you prefer to keep it small? Do you have to outsource anything?

Thinking about all of these things can help you figure out how to get started. But the truth is that it’s like riding a bicycle. You can put on the helmet and kneepads, but ultimately you just have to go for it and hope that you can keep the handlebars steady. The longer you keep at it, you will improve. And there will be times when you will need to stop and catch your breath, or reevaluate your business strategy - and that’s ok. Don’t let these fears and bumps in the road prevent you from pursuing your passion.

--

If you are interested in learning more about Carina or purchasing her work, you can visit https://www.carinatenaglia.com or check out her beautifully-curated Instagram page at https://www.instagram.com/dcbrushesandstrokes/ 




Comments

P O P U L A R