Are You Nervous About Selling Your Work?


The first time I sold my work to a stranger I was riddled with anxiety. What will they think when they see it in person? Will it look like the pictures I so carefully staged or will they be disappointed? Maybe the colours won't look the same, maybe they'll think it's too small, maybe they'll find the dimensions awkward and unconventional and demand an immediate refund. Imperfections leapt off the page one by one. 

And shipping, oh no. That was a fear-mongering entity of its own. How the f$%# did that work? (If you're also confused and slightly terrified of shipping, check out this post). I prayed that my Google-bred understanding was sound. What if it got lost in the mail? What if it got ruined? 

Over time my anxiety has lessened, but that's not to say I don't still get nervous. It's difficult to anticipate when problems may arise and I'm still learning every day. However, I wanted to share some insight on what I've learned so far (in hopes that I can lessen someone else's anxiety!)...

Sh*t Happens
Things happen. If you do your research on running a business and you produce good quality products, then they will likely be few and far between. But sh*t will still happen, even to the best of businesses. Products can get lost in the mail, an item can wind up broken within a week of purchase, you might find yourself stuck with a particularly picky customer. Do everything you can to avoid those situations, but don't beat yourself up if (when) they occur. 

Cover your A** with Shop Policies
Since you're bound to run into a few issues along the way (even if it's a year or two down the road), it's a great idea to try and anticipate those potential issues in advance and consider some solutions. For example, say you make custom engraved necklaces. If a customer places an order and then requests to cancel that order 3 days later, will you allow it? What might the repercussions be if you decline their cancellation request? How much of a loss is it to you if you've already engraved it? I will be writing a more in-depth post on shop policies in the near future, so stay tuned if this is something you're working on!

The Customer is Always Right
Although shop policies are incredibly helpful when dealing with difficult situations, I generally live by the rule that the customer is always right. If a customer wants a refund because the artwork they received isn't the right shade of blue, then I don't want to argue. Working in customer service taught me a lot about customer satisfaction, and arguing is definitely not the way to win. As I mentioned earlier, these issues don't happen often, and I consider these shortfalls to be one of the costs of doing business. I judge each situation on a case-by-case basis (Was I at fault in any way? Is the complaint somewhat reasonable or does it seem like a stretch?) but I still have support from my policies as well. In this situation, for example, my policies state that I will gladly issue a refund if the original piece is returned in original condition within x number of business days. 

You Will Learn
I encourage you to do plenty of research before opening your shop. The more you teach yourself, the smoother your business will run (and the less likely you will be to run into these problems^). But starting your own business, no matter how small, is a huge learning experience, and sometimes you have to make mistakes in order to learn. As time goes on your business will change as your understanding changes. You might switch selling platforms or change your packaging or change your shipping carrier. Perhaps you hadn't considered shop policies and you decide to implement them after handling a difficult situation. Your small business will be a fun and dynamic journey; enjoy the ride and know that making mistakes and making changes are all a part of the adventure. 

We Are Our Own Worst Critics
Although this is true of many different people in many different professions, it is especially true of artists. We will notice the smallest imperfection in an incredible piece and allow it to shake our nerves for days; an imperfection so subtle that no one else would ever notice it. But, your customer bought your work because they liked it. Don't work yourself up by fretting over the possibility that they will hate it. Celebrate the sale; you're sharing your creativity with the world and making money doing what you love ♥

Comments

P O P U L A R